Sunday, October 12, 2008

Goblin's trek to her new home.


I finally found an Alacrity 19', near enough and within my budget on Craigslist.org. A wonderful couple from California brought her with them when they moved from the San Francisco bay to a river east of Salem, Oregon. My partner insisted that I see it before buying and it took about 3 weeks to arrange the trip with a borrowed Ford F150. It was love at first sight and I paid only $50 less than their original asking price.

After their wonderful hospitality and coffee around the wood fire I strapped everything down with much redundancy and hooked it up to the truck. I had decided to take the boat and trailer straight to a local garage to check the axle and tires, but only made it three miles when the port side trailer fender slipped down and ripped a hole in the trailer tire. The garage instead sent someone to meet me with a two new tires and said the bearings were fine for the 250 mile trip. It ended up being a long road at 40 - 50 mph, the best the F150 could do without overheating.

I hope to document her fix up and launch in the spring of 2009.

For now I'm just extremely happy to see her backed into the yard and the whole family just loves the look and will be pitching in to get her ready for the water.

3 comments:

jacques said...

thanks for your blog, looks mine here
http://alacrity-speedwell.blogspot.com/

jacques said...

What's new about your work

Unknown said...

Hi Jacques,

Finally in position to get going on Goblin. She will be junk (junque) rigged. I'll post the sail plan and progress. We finished preparing the cockpit for rebuilding all the bulkheads and supports around the cockpit on New Years Eve. Planning to put her in the water this spring with a 140 sq. ft. junk rig. How is your speedwell doing?

Cheers,

Jeff