Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Considering options and assessing things to fix.

These pictures came from the seller and are fairly true to what we found. I'll compare these with what I found beneath the floors. The electrical system is non-functional so the bilge pump isn't working but I found very little water in the bilge to pump out. The rigging is worn and one of the chain plate eyes is somewhat stretched. Theres a bit of rust escaping from the port side keel and a number of bubbles that just crunch on pressing with your finger. But the coaming is complete and the rudder is awesome. The deck and cockpit are strong. The bow pulpit is strong and now cracks where it connects to the bow. I'm toying with the idea of installing an unstayed mast and making a balanced-lug or 'Junk' rigged sails. I think the mast could easily be set through the cabin roof and braced into the floor joists, but I'll get lots of advice before doing anything. For now I'm going to photo and log all the before pictures and create a list of things to do and in what order

4 comments:

jenku said...

Don't know if it is easier to change the rig than fix new chainplates. They don't have to be glassed in like original, you could bolt new ones through the deck instead (one of mine has been changed that way by the previous owner and has been like this for years.

Unknown said...

I turned a Compac 16 into a catboat, much like you described. I have pics and blogposts on it at www.ronmeinsler.com

I just bought an Alacrity twin keeler for a project. I'm looking forward to making it a gaff rigged sloop.

big Dave said...

hows it going funny to think we are/have done the same thing on the other side of the world take a look at http://www.sarahsboat.blogspot.com/
have fun and best wishes

Unknown said...

Finally making headway!